Image Credit: NASA/JPL
Isn't she beautiful? I'm old enough to remember the first Earth Day in 1970. Are you? In honor of Earth Day, I measured my ecological footprint today.
If everyone on the planet lived my lifestyle, we would need 1.83 Earths to support us all. That's down slightly from the last time I took the quiz, but not by much.
If I want to live in the bounteous and never wasteful world of Ordinary, I must be more conscious of my choices. Everything I do either works toward creating a world more like Ordinary or less. Over the next year, I'll take steps to reduce my eco-print. Here are some of the things I know I can do:
- Walk further before I get on the bus each morning and evening (good for my health as well as the planet)
- Purchase energy-saving Smart Stripsfor our home computers, television, radio, small appliances and cell-phone chargers
- Learn about ways I can reduce water usage and save energy by changing my laundry habits
- Defrost my refrigerator and freezer four times a year
- Purchase renewable energy for our apartment
- Join a garden co-op and grow my own veggies
- Encourage my landlord to provide a green compost bin (Will it save him $$?)
Will you join me? What's the next action you plan to reduce your ecological footprint?