Sunday, March 01, 2009

At last--Alice Walker has a web site--and a blog

It gives me enormous pleasure to discover today Alice Walker's web site and blog. She is now sharing her thoughts, wanderings, experiences and wisdom with the world, free to anyone with a computer and an internet connection. I am lost for hours, gorging on a feast of perfect words, organic, succulent and ripe.

But it is not the words that fill me. They are only ingredients, however fresh, savory or sweet. It is the measure of the words, born of a lifetime of truth telling, that feeds my soul.

Simply to read her most recent blog post, A Letter from Alice Walker to Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Prize winner under house arrest in Burma (Myanmar) since 1989, is to travel from Aung San Suu Kyi's well-guarded prison home to the inauguration of President Barack Obama, to the killing in California of a 19-year-old man by BART police who shot him while he lay face down with his hands behind his back.

On the journey, we absorb the sights, smell the exotic scents of any traveler, but what we learn and feel and understand is so much more. You must read it. Please go there now.

As extraordinary as she is, Alice Walker is one of my Ordinary heroes.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this! I read The Color Purple years ago and in all this time, as much as I loved that book and despite the effect it had on me, it never once occurred to me to see what else she's written. I can hardly wait to go to the library and hunt up some of her books! Thank you! Added her to my blog list immediately, of course.

    I'm embarrassed to admit I never knew about Aung San Suu Kyi until this very month--I just finished reading Amy Tan's "Saving Fish From Drowning" in which Burma is the main setting. I am so fortunate to be born when and where I am. As an American I am spoiled. Thank goodness for writers who remind me to be grateful for what I have and not to forget that not everyone is so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Genie, you have a feast awaiting you. So many books to read and re-read, and now we have the gift of her web site and her blog.

    I too had not known of Aung San Suu Kyi. In fact I learned of her only from Alice Walker the day I discovered her blog. Thank you for mentioning Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning. I must read it soon.

    We are indeed fortunate, in part simply because we can read, then choose what we read and when, and we do not face prosecution for it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.