Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ordinary love and Proposition 8

You may have noticed that Rose, the journalist telling the story of the Village of Ordinary, lives and loves with her lifelong partner, Cheyenne.

Ordinary is an inclusive community. Because children are born to families who want them; because as the title of the book says, the people understand "It Takes a Village to raise a child; and because people are raised to fulfill their individual potential in a comforting setting of community and love; prejudice, fear and hatred simply do not exist. (For precedence, see Ancient Futures: Learning from Ladakh.)

Yet hate, fear and prejudice continue, sometimes for the color of our skin, sometimes for the faith we practice, sometimes for the people we love and who love us. So it is with astonished gratitude that I watched this video of a mainstream newscaster, Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, giving a bold, impassioned plea to the people of California who voted away, last month, the rights of gays and lesbians, under their constitution, to marry the loves of their lives.

Listen to Mr. Olbermann's comments regarding California's Proposition 8 and tell me what you think.



Now that is someone helping to make the vision of Ordinary real. Thank you, Mr. Olbermann.

10 comments:

  1. People are followers, fearful, needing and wanting to be led. If we are silent and permit the bigots, the hateful and the narrow-minded to lead them then they will follow. If we speak out, take the lead, give them another choice, model love, acceptance and passive boldness then they will follow. I support Mr. Olbermann's lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This issue has stunned me from the get go. Olbermann's comments mirror my own and I love the passion with which he speaks. Yet, for me, it goes much further (and likely for him too but he was trying to be succinct and make a point).

    Constitutionally I don't see how anyone anywhere can deny the right of two consenting adults to marry based on their gender. I can't conceive of what difference it makes and the only reason it could possibly matter to anyone is because of their religion or because of their bigotry. Neither stance has legal merit and should be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! What he said is eloquent and to the point. I have never understood how letting any two people who want to be together have a legally sanctioned relationship detracts from anyone else's relationship.

    I so much appreciate Mr. Olbermann's speaking out on this issue. May many more follow his lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although what happened with Prop 8 was terrible, I do not think Olbermann's message will really effect anyone on the other side. Guilt is not a good motivator.

    I think this Youtuber did a better job helping people understand the underlying reason this prop was passed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9VF1uIPpU

    Let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace
    How are you? I haven't been by in ages, I have too many interesting blogs I follow!

    I have one of those blogs to recommend to you, especially as she has issued a meme challenge with a difference.

    http://monasterywithin.blogspot.com/2009/01/call-for-papers.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS... I forgot I was going to add that this post was very interesting.

    DUH brain moment! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole post moved me to tears, and the video made me stand up and applaud and more tears ran down my face. I felt so much love for this man's spirit and powerful voice. His truth run through me clear and sweet and made me weep all over again. Thank for sharing this and for being such a clear clean soul. You are a truly remarakable human being. I am proud of you and proud to be conencted in any way. We must have been on the same wave length lately. I love it. Thank you for making my world more real. Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, just WOW. I'd missed this until now, thanks for posting it. What joy to hear such a passionate and erudite expression of dismay at prop 8!

    I think it will be struck down by the courts - so many civil rights have had to be won that way. Shame on those who leave it to the courts to apply justice, and who have no mercy or charity in their own hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come get your award. :-)

    http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2009/02/planetary-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, each and every one of you, for registering your thoughts on this complex issue. Every one is most deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.