Friday, September 26, 2008

The women of PeaceXPeace

My heart is ever gladdened by the stamina and courage of women. If you need inspiration or just a lift today, take a look at the women of PeaceXPeace.

You might start with 79-year-old Bettye Johnson, who published her first (award-winning) book at 72. With Secrets of the Magdalene Scrolls, she goes further than The Da Vinci Code and histories of the Knights Templar, weaving an intriguing and fascinating tale of the life of the Magdalene and her family. Her sequel, Mary Magdalene, Her Legacy, is equally compelling.

Then there's Gaza Strip photojournalist Eman Mohammed. Documenting war, Mohammed goes where women of her country and faith are not supposed to go. Her camera tells the stories she cannot speak.

And there's midwife Robin Lim. Upon learning that post-childbirth hemorrhage was the leading cause of death in Bali, Lim founded Yayasan Bumi Sehat, a pre-natal and birthing clinic. Her lifesaving clinics (there are now two, with two more planned) are needed more than ever: Indonesia recently halted its national health insurance program.

At PeaceXPeace, stories abound from around the globe--of women helping women, building their communities, building businesses while protecting their natural environment and yes, making peace. What's more, they encourage each and every one of us to add our own story.

Be inspired. You can start with nothing and make something extraordinary. In women's lives, making something useful from nothing is more ordinary than not.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been waiting for you to post since early August. Many months ago I checked your blog repeatedly and found no new posts so I assumed you had stopped writing. I was glad when you left a comment on my blog and I discovered you are still here.

    Thank you for your kind words and the award. More importantly, thank you for your research and the work that you give to writing about hope and positive change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Paul, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your encouraging words. I never stop writing, but my blogs sometimes suffer while I nourish other projects. I'm making a big life change right now that I hope will give me more time to write. I'll be talking about it here over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.