Sunday, May 11, 2008

I stood for peace

Stood in a park on a hill overlooking the city. The wind blew cold and fierce. The sun shone brightly, almost warmly enough to counter the wind. The sky was clear and blue. The breezes rippled the tall grass this way and that. Tree limbs bowed and swayed, their leaves shimmering, twisting, dancing.

At first I breathed. Simple breath. Cold air in. Warmer air out. I thought of the possibly 100,000 dead in Myanmar, not from war, but from cyclone. I thought of their leaders, refusing aid, then receiving it, only to hold it until they stamped their names on it, made it appear they were giving food, water and supplies to the people. Not to all refugees. They choose who gets aid and who does not. Meanwhile, people pump drinking water from ponds filled with bloated bodies.

I thought of Julia Ward Howe, who called mothers everywhere to leave their homes and convene for the first Mothers Day as Mothers for Peace. Say firmly, she admonished the women whose husbands, sons, brothers and fathers marched home from the Civil War only to learn of the call to another, say firmly,

We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies, Our husbands will not come to us, reeking with carnage, for caresses and applause. Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn All that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience. We, the women of one country, will be too tender of those of another country to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs.
And yet. One hundred thirty-eight years later, we send our sons and daughters, our husbands, partners, brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers off to war.

Great Spirit, I prayed, help us all, the human family, to make peace in our hearts. Let not one person raise an arm against another. Let soldiers everywhere refuse to kill. Fill our hearts with love. And if, for some reason, this is not yet possible, then fill my heart with love. Let me bear no ill will to any person, no matter the provocation. Let me respond to all situations with understanding, compassion and love. Help me to remember, when I want to lash out, that

peace

always

begins

at

home.

For more information, visit StandingWomen.org and The Great Silent Grandmother Gathering.

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    I'm responding via the emails the Standing Women website sends out. I got yours about your stand being on your blog. I love what you stood for and how you ended this. Yes, it has to start with each person, at home - peace, love...

    May I add your "stand" to my link here?

    http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-stand-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said. I found you through Michelle, and will hold your reminder in my heart today.

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.