Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Where I'm going--long term

Before we begin addressing the questions in Where I'm going--short term, it's important to have a sense of the long-term objectives.

The Village of Ordinary began as a need to vision a peaceful world in the face of a warring one.

We must believe that peace is possible. Some have referred to Ordinary as a utopia, but I see it as a perfectly normal existence--if we are willing to give up hating someone, anyone--our neighbor who poisoned the cat, our coworker who never misses a chance to back-stab, our parent who beat us to within an inch of our lives, our lover who done us wrong. (Where would we be without all those songs?) The people who caused 9-11. The people who lied so they could start a war. Tough ones, yes. All of them.

Look at what the Ladakh say when someone behaves badly: "Chi choen?" or "What's the point?" When there is so much to love in life, why waste time spending our energy hating people who hurt us? It doesn't change them (Or does it? Is it true that love can soften the heart of the most evil of evil-doers?), but it may well embitter us. Or worse.

Beyond that, we can begin to view the people who have hurt us with compassion and love. Some believe that love and compassion are the only hope for gaining a peaceful world. This is the grand experiment, isn't it? I'm not the first to propose it, not the first to attempt it. Many have gone before. Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jesus, Buddha, and countless ordinary people like you and me, living their everyday lives, no big names on billboards or movie screens, choosing to say I love you to the ones who done us wrong.

That's the heart and core of where I'm going. Everything else--living in harmony with Nature and other animals, choosing right livelihood, building sustainably--everything else will come from that simple choice.

I will love.

When I can't love, I will ask Great Spirit to help me to love and to show love where I am yet too weak to do so.

That's where I'm going. What about you? Can you vision it? Can you make a commitment to that choice?

In the face of a world gone haywire (more to come on that) how everyday ordinary can we make love? How much can ordinary love change the world? Try sending love to someone you have hated for one day and tell me what happened. If you can't send love, call on the Higher Power you recognize in your life and ask them to send the love you do not feel. Then return here and tell me what you experienced. I want to know.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:28 AM

    It is easier for me to love than to hate, easier to laugh than to cry, easier to give than to take. It is easy for me to want peace, to imagine life in Ordinary can be real today, easy for me to want to be a part of change. And then, I go to work to address endless issues of child abuse, to work in a system entrenched in double speak, and to work with families generationally shaped by institutionalized poverty and racism. During the day, though I can forgive and love and laugh and give and serve, remembering Ordinary is a struggle. By the end of the day, realizing Ordinary is a way of being becomes clear again, and I try to take her images into sleep so I can start again in the morning. And in the morning, I remember who I am and where I am going, and that I must live peace every moment I can, and then I do it all over again. koko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koko,

    Thank you for taking the time to respond and for sharing your wisdom. You remind us all of the myriad difficulties any one may face in a routine day at work. I pray you always have the strength and courage to face yours. Thank you for the reminder. I will carry it to my job each day, because you are so correct: It is easier to love than to hate ...

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.