Tuesday, July 10, 2007

That's Bamboo? Wow! named Squidoo Lens of the Day

Almost a year ago, I wrote a post about the amazing versatility and sustainability of bamboo--the Eco-Wonder of the World. A simple blog post just wasn't enough for such a big topic, however. Right about then, I discovered Squidoo and built a more comprehensive--and fun--web page called That's Bamboo? Wow!. Today, Squidoo surprised me by naming the lens Squidoo Lens of the Day!

Squidoo Lens of the Day badge


Squidoo is sometimes touted as the new blog-meets-social-networking platform. It has also been referred to as a grown-up version of MySpace. Squidoo offers free hosting, and a teensy, tiny share in Adsense profits to people who build web pages there. If you can type, you can build a Squidoo web page using their simple text boxes, called modules.

Squidoo calls its web pages lenses, as in a camera lens, or eyeball lens focused on a single topic. People who do Squidoo are called Squids, Squidooers, or Squidizens, and we have a lot of fun building new lenses about everything under the sun. Hmmm. There probably is a lens about the sun. If not, I should grab that URL and make one.

That's the thing about Squidoo. It's addictive. Before you know it, your hair is turning gray, your fingers are worn to nubs from typing, your eyes are red orbs peering at the screen, and all you can think is, "I can build a lens about that."

People who build lenses are also called lensmasters. If you're really lucky, one day one of your lenses might be picked for Lens of the Day, like mine was today. I'm so happy I could cry. Slowly, slowly the word is getting out about ways to live sustainably, ways to make conscious choices--like choosing bamboo products--and ways to build the Village of Ordinary.

Here's a screen shot of the announcement on the Lens of the Day group page.


And here's a screen shot of the announcement on the Squidoo Lens of the Day blog. You can learn a lot about Squidoo and the amazing variety of topics, opinions, and creative talent just by visiting these two pages and linking from there to other Lens of the Day honorees.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! I'm a huge fan of bamboo, and we have it growing on our property, in our home as flooring and other furniture and items. Since I live on Maui, we also hike through bamboo forests. :-)

    I discovered you through looking through other Squids. I just made my first two lenses recently....one called funnyblogs and another called alternate realities. Even though I'm a prolific blogger, squids are new to me, so there is a learning curve to be sure, but like you, I'm totally taken with them.

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.