Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Ordinary changes

For a long time, I resisted posting the vision of Ordinary.

I do not yet live my life with the quiet wholeness of the village inhabitants and did not want to be a hypocrite.

More and more, though, I recognized that to live the life I dream, I must start somewhere.

Since I began working with Ordinary, I have found my choices are more often peaceful.

Frequently--not every time--but frequently, I catch myself before I use my sometimes caustic tongue in response to a hurtful moment.

Situations that tend to make me tense and uncomfortable are easier.

Example: I usually resist social events. But increasingly I enjoy them, seek them. Last night, at a business dinner with five others, none of whom are bosom buddies and each of whom I admire in some way, I basked in the glow of the simple conversation and the beauty in their faces.

A year ago, that dinner meeting would have been fraught with tension, and very likely I would have had a severe headache before the end of the evening.

This gives me hope that I can build a habit of responding to any situation with peace. And if I can do that, others can.

What do you think? How do you make peace in your life?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:46 PM

    I find that Ordinary is helping me cope with stresses as well. It stays with me throughout the day and calms me. Thank you so much for your vision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find peace by protecting my integrity, by remembering kindness as a first response, and by seeking comforting images. Like you, I'm not always successful. I still like to watch a good murder mystery or CSI on television, and I enjoy reading about bounty hunter Stephanie Plum in Janet Evanovich novels. How can I truly want to find peace while concurrently enjoying violence for entertainment?

    I find that Ordinary compels me to consider the incongruencies in my life. I desire the Ordinary lifestyle. Can we create a present and real Village of Ordinary now? Because I want to move in asap!

    ReplyDelete

Join the dialogue. Post a comment here. Please keep it clean for all audiences. Spam will be deleted immediately.